Saturday, May 23, 2009

Recovery week interruptus, and plague

I was away last weekend and did two light recovery sessions on Monday and Tuesday last week.

Then, on Thursday evening, I developed the mumps, which I likely got from my housemate. Despite the fact that I am apparently way too old. So no training for me probably till after the June bank holiday, or later depending on how the symptoms progress. I've got to stay in the house under quarantine, and I'm already going nuts here.

I've already been in touch with everyone I can think of who I've been in contact with since I'd have been contagious, but in case I forgot anyone, early symptoms of mumps are feeling tired, loss of appetite, then you may develop swelling round the jaw. Or, you may not have any symptoms at all. If you've had 2 inoculations against it or had it in the past you should be immune. If in doubt a GP can do a test on you to see if you've got it. My GP says once someone's been exposed there's nothing you can do to prevent getting it, it'll either happen or won't, however I've heard from other sources that there's an inoculation they can give which might help.

If you suspect you're coming down with it or have it stay away from people, as it's so contagious. In the normal course of the illness it's unpleasant but has no permanent effects, however there are a few unlikely but possible effects that are lasting, so it's not something you want to be spreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment