Monday, February 23, 2009

Power to the people!

Decided to do something a bit unusual today because I'm away for the next 3 days without access to training facilities. The idea is to spend 30 minutes power snatching to a max for the day, then when that is reached drop to 80% of that and do doubles until time is up. I'd follow this with some snatch pulls for about 15 minutes and then some jerks from the rack and some back squatting. This is basically a bastardized excerpt of the sessions we did on Valentine's Day, which were good fun (and which I found really good for kicking me out of a training rut, too).

Mindful of yesterday's lesson I started with about 15 mins dynamic warmup and a bit of foam rolling for the glutes, back and hip flexors.
OHS: 5@bar x 3
Power snatch: 2@25, 2@30, 1@35, 38, 40, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, missed 47, 2@37 x 5
Snatch pulls: 2@45, 2@50 x 5
Jerk warmup with 25kg - jerk dips, catches, jerks behind the neck
Rack jerk(1 behind, 1 in front): 35, 40, 44, 48, 52, 54 x 4
Back squat: 3@45, 3@55, 3@65, 3@70, 3@75, 3@80.

44, 45 and 46kg are new personal bests for the power snatch, and 46kg is awfully close to my best snatch at 48kg. As soon as I get a good run at a new snatch attempt on a good day my best has got to fall. I just need to keep working on the speed in second pull and extension, this has been serving me well this week.

Rack jerks were OK, still getting used to the behind the neck stuff, so hopefully I'll be able to handle more weight on them soon. Technique isn't perfect but it's improving.

The Butcher was reminding me to pull my shoulderblades together and rotate my elbows out in the jerk receiving position - must keep this in mind when jerking and especially doing jerk-related warmup stuff. I've been focusing heavily on snatch stuff this last while since I got that rack jerk PB on the 14th but really the jerk is as important if not more so.

Here's some video of the snatch pulls:



So here ends a pretty tough couple of weeks, a hell of a lot of volume done in snatch, clean and jerk and lots of progress made. Back to it on Friday for an easy session to sharpen me up for a weekend of lifting and cryotherapy in Wexford.

Fair play to Gillian also today on her new (accidental) power snatch max of 48kg :)

No comments:

Post a Comment