Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Cure for Callouses?

Due to my callous tear a few weeks ago I've been looking for better callous management solutions, apart from the usual thorough washing of chalk off the hands and moisturising. I've been using emery boards on them but my callouses eat those things in a week (I have monster callouses that seem to develop overnight). However, the other day I came upon the foot file - this is essentially a metal file on one side and a thing like an extremely fine cheese grater on the other. It's brilliant!

Tuesday 10th March
Dynamic warmup, light overhead squats and drop snatches
Snatch: 2@34, 1@37, 40, 40, 43, 46 x 4, miss@46 x 2
Jerk warmup
Rack jerks (one behind, one in front): 35 x 2, 40, 45, 49, 52 x 5
Back Squats: 4@50, 2@60, 2@70, 2@80, 2@82 x 5
Abs superset: 3 L chins and plank complex for 3 sets

Nice and sharp today after my day off. A bit annoyed with missing the last 2 snatches, but the first 4 were decent and felt easy considering the weight's only 3kg below my best snatch. The first miss I just lacked extension/focus, the second one I probably overcompensated a bit - I jumped back slightly and ended up losing it forward although there was lots of height on it. Think I probably extended back and threw the head back. Moral of the story is to extend hard but under control, I suppose. Like the way the dip and drive on the jerk have to be. Hmm.

Jerks were quite solid and squats were easy.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Laura.

    If any callouses/tears emerge after a session, make sure to remove any excess skin that could be pulled/cause more tear. I do this with a nail clippers, works very well. Then wash thoroughly and moisturise.

    Also using straps helps a lot. I use them for power snatch all the time and sometimes with power cleans if my hands are particularly bad. I would also use them for full snatches from time to time, just make sure they are 'quick release' straps. Also use them for pulls and deadlifts.

    Also, when your training volume reduces you will have much less grief with your hands so it's just a matter of sticking it out until then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I don't use straps at all because when I try I always just lose my grip altogether on my second pull. Stupid small hands :(
    I should probably look into getting a thinner pair of straps.

    I don't do deadlifts and pulls only on special occasions, so I think it's mostly hang power snatching that wrecks them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right. Well I would def look into getting a pair of straps that suit you as the purpose of the straps are to help you keep your grip, especially at the top of the pull when you let rip. For most people it does take a while to get used to using them, but they are a very useful piece of equipment and will help keep your hands healthy, particularly durin high volume prep periods of training. Have a look at these straps, they might work for you: http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1437, http://www.werksanusa.com/products-shoe-shirts.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ones I have are the white ones on the werksan page. I think Barry and Sami have the ironmind ones, I'll see if I can borrow a pair from one of them and see if they suit.

    Failing that I can always go with Harry's suggestion and have the hands replaced with titanium hooks. Yarr!

    ReplyDelete