Wednesday, March 18, 2009

While the cat's away...

My coach, the Butcher, has abandoned me for the week while he's off at the EUs.

I took Sunday to Tuesday this week off training as I was away diving in Galway, so before I headed I did a double session on Saturday. I was given the plan below to do. I didn't think it looked too bad, but I'd done a pretty tough week's training leading up to it and and once I snatched to my max weight I was pretty wrecked for the rest of it.

Saturday 14th March

Session 1
  1. Snatch (30 mins): Up to max (for the day!) then 80% for doubles to make up time
  2. Front Squat: Up to 85% of your best FS (approximately, err on the side of caution)
30-40 minutes rest
Session 2
  1. Snatch: Work up to a top set for 3 x singles (again err on the sideof caution, make the heavy, butmake the lifts)
  2. Clean & Jerk: Work up to a top single for approx 61-63kg depending on form
  3. Back Squat: Work up to a top weight for 6 sets of 2 (heavy, but not abominably heavy!)
So here's how it went:

Session 1:
Warmup, overhead squats, drop snatches
Snatch: 2@33, 1@36, 39, 42, 44, 46, 48, miss@50 x 3, 2@38 x 3 (missed some of the reps on the doubles, very ropy)
Front squat: 3@40, 2@50, 1@60, 1@64, 1@67

Session 2:
Snatch 3 heavy singles: Wasn't able to snatch 44, tried twice and failed (couldn't believe it). Did 3 singles with 42kg in the end.
C+J: up to a top single at 63kg. Tough but good jerk. Happy to be able to get it while that fatigued. Jumped back a fair bit on the clean... got to work on this.
Squatted up to 2@85 x 6, heaviest doubles I have done on back squat. Not as hard as I thought they'd be.

Was a bit annoyed at how my snatching went to pieces after the 50kg attempts. Still, it was good to try the weight. 2 of the three attempts were very close, I got the height and locked it out but it was just a bit forward out of position. I will get it soon. And more.

Wednesday 18th March
Warmup, overhead squats, drop snatches
Snatch: 2@33, 2@37, 2@40, 2@43 x 4, 0+0@43, 1+0@43
Jerk warmup
Front squat+ Jerk: 2@35, 1@40, 45, 50, 55, 57.5 x 6 singles
Front squat: 2@63, 2@68 x 3
Plus some ab work and 3 sets of seated DB presses.

All fairly OK except snatches went to crap for the last 2 sets. Ah well, they were pretty heavy doubles. I've had about enough of this whole volume lark now, but I think I get to start dropping it back either next week or the week after.

No comments:

Post a Comment